The present publication is preparated with the support of the European Union. Responsibility for the content of this publication is borne solely by the Municipality of Malko Tarnovo and "Development Foundation of Malko Tarnovo town" and in any case it cannot be considered that the content of the current publication reflects the opinion of the European Union.
Zabernovo village

It is situated 4 km away to the south from the road Vizitsa – Bosna, 44 km away from Malko Tarnovo town and 61 km away from Bourgas town, 250 m altitude. Its location is in the foot of the ridge Bosna – Ugrash and under the height Bisama.

The old name of the village is Zaborna and it is considered that its language root “berna” is Thracian, means ‘full, plentiful”. Under this name the village figures in the tax register of kaza Anchialo from 1731-32 year.

In the vicinities of Zabernovo village there is great number of Thracian and antique monuments – dolmens, dating back from X century BC, mound necropolises and others. Here is the center of the Thracian megaliths. To the southeast 4 km away from Zabernovo village are located the remains of a Thracian and early ancient Greek fortress. In the land of the village are found traces from old monasteries – guessed as remains from Paroriya monastery complex of Grigorii Sinait.

Some explorers are searching for the medieval town Ugresh near Zabernovo village. In a correspondence from 1600 year is mentioned that the medieval town Ugresh was situated near the monastery “St. Petka” in Zagorieto. Some of the coincidences are really interesting. There is a monastery “St. Petka” which has been in the old times a monastery with monks, farming and buildings. Near it there are traces of a settlement and except this are preserved the Ugrash names. The whole area except the place where has been the settlement is deeply buried in century-old forests.

Archeological monuments found in the village are preserved in the historical museums in Bourgas town and Malko Tarnovo town. Between them there are mummifying clays, marble block with a relief figure of a funeral feast and a funeral relief from Roman epoch.

After the Russian-Turkish war 1828-29 year the whole village moved in South Russia. There has no one family left. Two years later 10 families came back.

The inhabitants of Zabernovo village participate actively in the National liberation wars from XIX and XX centuries. Here is the home place by the popular in the beginning of XX century children’s writer Dyado Blago (Stoyan Russev) and of the most famous Strandzha folklorist Goro Gorov.

The village’s celebration is on the day of Virgin Marry (28th august).

An ancient tradition is preserved in Zabernovo village which is typical for the other Strandzha villages. Every family has its saint who respected. For one that is St. Marina, for the others is the Holy Ghost for third is St. George and others. The family clan is looking after the maintenance of the chapel. On the celebration’s day the family is gathered together on the holy place, lightens candles, kills animals and is given boiled mutton for a health.

Interesting visitors’ places:

  • Church “St. Luka” – the oldest one survived cult building in the inner side of Strandzha region. Dates back from XVII century, a monument of culture.
  • Chapel “St. Petka” – disposed 5 km away southeast from the village in the Balakliya area. Built in 1869 year on the place of the namesake monastery in the Middle Ages.
  • Chapel “St. George”  - a Thracian horse rider is built in the slab
  • Chapel “Holy Ghost” – built up near a dolmen
  • Protected area Paroriya – distinguished with the century-old forest and ruins of medieval monastery
  • Century-old trees – 1000 years old oak-tree in the area of Tumbata; century-old east-beech in the area of Razklona, preserved a haidouk’s inscription from the end of XIX century.
  • Resting place in countryside Germanikovo
  • Resting place in countryside Deli George
Last updated: 26.04.2006