It is situated 53 km away from Bourgas town and 25 km away from Malko Tarnovo town, 350 m altitude.
The old name of the village is Gyoktepe (in Turkish means ‘star dust’) and originates from its location. Under this name is mentioned in XVII century as a developed cattle-breeding center and as one of the largest Strandzha villages. In the antiquity the village is a cross road of important roads between Fakiya and Vasiliko (present Tsarevo town), Achtopol, Ineada (in Turkey). The present location of the village is a result of two exile movements forward. Traces of the old settlement had in the eastern part of Machmuckyoi ridge.
In the last decades of XVIII and XIX century Zvezdets village is burned up during the kurdzhali invasions.
The locals participate in Russian-Turkish Liberation war in 1828-29 year. They become a part of the bands which support the offensive of the Russian army to the Straits.
The oldest school in Strandzha region is built up in the first quarter of XIX century. During the Preobrazhensko uprising the village of Zvezdets is a center of a revolt section. The village, church “St. Atanas” and the school were burned up in 1903 year. The survived population emigrated in released Bulgaria and later came back partially.
The megalithic monuments and Thracian tombstones in the land of Zvezdets village evedence about its center place in the ancient times. Unfortunately most of them are destroyed.
At about 14 km east from the village is situated the area of Petrova niva – a holy place to all the Thracians.
In the village of Zvezdets there are 12 houses declared as architectural monuments.
The village’s feast is celebrated in July.
Interesting visiting places:
- Church “St. Atanas” – dates back from the end of XVIII or the beginning of XIX century. In 1903 year is burned up and in 1910 year is rebuilt again in its present mode.
- Cloister “St. Petka” with a holy spring which is situated 1 km away from the village
- “Gospodyovoto manastirche” (The god’s cloister) – renewed chapel in the eastern part of the village, area of Kovach – it is situated 5 km southeast from the village along the Veleka river valley.
- Ruins of a fortress in the area of Mahmutjovo kale. The shape of the fortress is a rectangle. The surface area is at about 5 decares. The fortress’ wall is from plastered stone. In the inner part there have been buildings. One of them is probably a medieval church.
- To the north-east of the village is situated a century-old oak (800 years old) in the area of Tonchov pazlak.