The present publication is preparated with the support of the European Union. Responsibility for the content of this publication is borne solely by the Municipality of Malko Tarnovo and "Development Foundation of Malko Tarnovo town" and in any case it cannot be considered that the content of the current publication reflects the opinion of the European Union.
The village of Visitsa

It is situated 61 km away from Bourgas town and 35 km away from Malko Tarnovo town, 300 m altitude. The village is disposed over the one of the sunniest Strandzha ridges known under the name of Vizichko Burdo.

The first component of the village’s name – “viz” has a Thracian origin. It is considered that the first inhabitants of the village were settlers from Medieval Black sea fortress Urdovitsa present Kiten town. Under the name of Vizitchet the village figured in the tax register of kaza (region) Anhialo from 1731-32 year. During last three centuries the village has changed its location because of a plague epidemic and kurdzhali sudden attacks.

Traces from ancient and medieval presence are found in the areas – necropolises, fortresses, building remains and traces of metallurgy activity. To the east from the village are situated some of the largest Thracian funeral mounds in Strandzha region.

The population of Visitsa village took part in the National-liberation struggles during XIX and XX centuries. After the Liberation war in 1878 year the inhabitants have been settled in released Bulgaria (1886).

Nowadays the village is settled by the heirs of the refugees from Eastern Thrace. A great part of the houses are built in refugee’s style – so called sharons’ houses.

The church “Holy Triad” is built in the beginning of XIX century and is the oldest building in the village. The old Vizitsa village preserved legends tell about a dangerous epidemic which took many victims no matter the age. The epidemic appeared after an interesting and curious case.

Wolves chased a male handsome deer in a dark evening. In village’s sheep pen was its shelter. In the morning the frightened animal was killed by the local peasants and after that the plague started. In order to run from the plague locals took their household belongings and took the road to the highest place on one of the sunniest Strandzha ridges.

In XIX century the celebration of the village was in the day of Holy Triad but in XX century the locals made the fair of the village on St. Elias’s day. Near to the chapel “St. Iliya” the carts reached and the buffaloes were dressed up with flowers and beads. On the meadow were laid out many-colored rugs. After the estimation of the saint lively chain-dances are performed and the most interesting are the wrestlings. Other rituals are remembered by the locals – jumping over a blazing fire, fire-dances on the day of Sts Constantine and Elena. In the middle of XX century is still preserved a custom which made a passing by person a second parent of a sick child took up out of the house. The recovered child till the end of his life respects his second parent.

Interesting visiting places:

  • Chapel “St. Iliya” - an interesting cult monument built in the feet of the largest Thracian mound in the region.
  • Thracian mound necropolis - partially explored. Two symbolic funerals and one by burning are found
  • Fortress Kaleto - remains from the fortress is situated north-west from the area of Polunitsa. Inside are seen remains from constructions
Last updated: 26.04.2006