The present publication is preparated with the support of the European Union. Responsibility for the content of this publication is borne solely by the Municipality of Malko Tarnovo and "Development Foundation of Malko Tarnovo town" and in any case it cannot be considered that the content of the current publication reflects the opinion of the European Union.
Grammatikovo village

It is situated 25 km away to the north-east from Malko Tarnovo town and 68 km away from Bourgas town through the countryside Bosna; 300 m altitude. It is located high over the valley of Veleka river.

The history of the village leads its beginning from the Antiquity. About this evidence traces of an old Roman road, mound necropolises, remains from two ancient settlements, and two treasures from colonial bronze coins. There are no written facts about the settlement of the village in a later period.

According to a legend in the past there was no a settlement here and the people have been living in a cottager’s neighborhoods. During XVI centuries after the Ottoman’s enslavement from here passed the Ottoman’s convoy with Bulgarian exiles left in this region in order not to leave it. It was them who formed the new village. It was named Grammatikovo because more of the inhabitants were “gramatitsi” (means literate and erudite people).The inhabitants from the cottages joined them after a while.

Another legend tells Grammatikovo village is founded during XVI century by settlers from the village of Gramatik in Stara planina (Old mountain) when the ottomans seized Bulgaria.

The name of the village remains unchanged from its foundation till current days. The means of life– stock-breeding, farming and logging - of its inhabitants are influenced by the location of the village in the inner part of Strandzha region and the closeness of Veleka river during the ages and in more current times.

The first document in which is mentioned Strandzha Grammatikovo is a Turkish tax register from 1731-32 year. In the beginning of XIX century the settlement is caught under sudden attacks. As a result of this a great number of families moved in The Crimea in South Ukraine.

The population participated actively in the liberation fights during the Russian-ottoman war in 1877-78 years and the Preobrazhensko uprising in 1903 year and gave many victims.

More of the houses in Grammatikovo village are built in new Bulgarian style but two from an older style are saved.

The singing competition “Strandzha sings” was carried out for the first time on 28th, 29th, 30th May in 1960 year in the village of Grammatikovo with the decision of the Ministry of culture. This is the first national cultural event which revives the Bulgarian folklore.Many talents are discovered on the first fair: Kalinka Zgurova, Petranka Todorova, Georgi Pavlov, Raina Mavrova, Yanka Rupkina. Komnya Stoyanova, Magda Pushkarova, Sava Popsavov, Raina Petrova and many others participated as distinguished singers. It is the beginning of the traditional folklore fairs in Bulgaria. In 1995 is carried out the second national fair “Strandzha sings”, rehabilitated from the Municipality of Malko Tarnovo town and a decision is taken the event to be carried out on every 4 years.

The celebration’s day is marked on Saturday and Sunday from the first week of August and is connected with the honoring of St. Iliya. Before 20 years has been celebrated in the area of St. Iliya, 3 km away from the village.

Of much respect is Sts Constantine and Helena’s day. It is celebrated in the area of Yazmitsata 1 km away to the south from the village.

A funeral monument with depicted hand with a feather is a symbol of the village. Nowadays the marble slab is kept in the historical museum in the town of Malko Tarnovo.

Interesting visiting places:

  • Chapel “St. Troitsa” (Holy Triad) – one of the most interesting chapels disposed between the villages of Vizitsa and Grammatikovo in the Kotlovinite area. Near the chapel there are walls of medieval small church and besides are the traces of cottager’s settlement.
  • Church “Sts 40 martyrs”
  • Forest collection exhibition - presents the biological variety of Strandzha region
  • Tourist shelters in the areas of Yazmitsata and Dimchov vris
  • Kachul place – it is situated southeast 5 km from the village. A picturesque place on the river valley of Veleka
  • Chapels “Bozhe ime” (God’s name), “St. George”, St. Iliya”, “St. Troitsa” (Holy Triad)
  • St. Constantine area, 1 km away southeast from the village, there are tremendous ancient remains of metallurgy activity
  • Century-old oak-tree in the area of Papazova niva – it is situated to the northern side of the village on the road to Vizitsa village. The sizes of the tree are realy impressive: diameter – 5.56 m and height – 20 m.
In the surroundings of the village could be seen blossoming Strandzha periwinkle during May and the beginning of June.
Last updated: 26.04.2006