The present publication is preparated with the support of the European Union. Responsibility for the content of this publication is borne solely by the Municipality of Malko Tarnovo and "Development Foundation of Malko Tarnovo town" and in any case it cannot be considered that the content of the current publication reflects the opinion of the European Union.
Village of Byala voda (White water)

The village is disposed 45 km away from Bourgas town and 43 km from the town of Malko Tarnovo, 300 m altitude. It is situated at the foot of peak Bosna, over the feeders of Mladezhka river.

It is mentioned for the first time in the tax registers of kaza (region) Anhialo from the second half of XVII century. The old name of the village is Konak. Traces of an old road are found to the south and to the north towards Malko Tarnovo town. That is an explanation of the origin of the name also – road station in Turkish is “konak”. The village received the name “Byala voda” (White water) in 1951 year.

Picturesque areas attracted the ancient inhabitants of these lands as a result of that in the area called “Gradishteto” there are ruins from an ancient settlement, to the south – a Thracian mound necropolis and to the southwest in the area “Kungyov grob” are discovered a Thracian and a late-antique fortress. Ancient inscriptions said that the area had been a sanctuary of Zeus, Heara and Heracles.

Before (400–500) year people settled in Sardzhovo area at about 4 km away to the east from the present settlement. Because of a frequent illness of the population and the Circassians sudden attacks the inhabitants of the village decided to move. Some of them established Kalovo village, the others Konak village. The church was demolished and built again on the new place with the same material.

During 1878 year the population of Byala voda village resisted the outrageously behavior of the Circassians and the Ottomans surrender to the pressure of the Russian army.

After the Liberation the village became a part of Turkey and many of its inhabitants settled in Bulgaria but some of them moved back again.

During the “Preobrazhensko” uprising there has been a battle in the region of the village of Byala voda.

Interesting visiting places:

  • Church “St. Profet Iliya” from XVII century. Bourgas archeological museum êeeps a votive inscription of Heracles which has been built in the church. The ancient hero has been one of the favorite divinities of the roman soldiers of Thracian origin. Instead of an altar table is placed a quadrilateral altar in the church. The floor is covered with antic bricks (flat with square form). Such bricks and ceramic fragments are found in the Marino selishte area by ploughing- time.
  • Chapel “St. Petka” – 1 km away to the south from the village in countryside “Ryakata”
  • Chapel “St. Ivan Rilski” – 2 km away to the north from the village in countryside ‘Marino selishte”. About the day of St. Ivan Rilski – 19th of October, the chapel gathers numberless worshippers. People come from distant places, also sick ones hoping for cure.
    • According to the Bulgarian prophet Vanga in the region of the village (“Marino selishte”) have been killed 66 thousand Bogomils. Among them there have been seven leaders from the inner circle of the enlightened. The seventh were considered as moderators between Earth and Heathen. She has predicted the appearance of a spring which water will be curable. The chapel “St. Ivan Rilski” is built there now. The trees in front of it are not cut down – the trees are symbol of the leaders of the inner circle of the enlightened.

      The village’s celebration is marked on St. Iliya’s day.

      Last updated: 26.04.2006